Sunday 22 November 2009

Black To The Future

On writing my book, 'The Mouth of Babes' I wasn't thinking about the impact it would have on some people, but British film director/screen writer, Menelik Shabazz, was so awed by my novel that he left a message in my local bookstore 'D'jed', for me to contact him asap and so I did.

During our conversation, he gave me serious food for thought. He mentioned that very few nubians write sci-fi and that it was almost as if we didn't see ourselves in the future. He labelled me a pioneer, for aparently before myself, there have been no other British black authors for this genre. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that, and have been searching hard to prove him wrong, but so far I'm coming up empty. So wait, we are in the 21st century, and only now we have a Black British presence in science fiction? Funny thing is, I wrote and published the book two years ago, but didn't make it available for sale til May 2009, because I didn't think anyone would be interested. Initially I had no intention in publishing, I was content enough to leave it sitting idly on my PC.

I'm still chewing over the part that 'black people don't see themselves in the future'. Do we really envision a world where we do not feature as a people? Or is it that we don't care to think beyond a seeing our children grow up? Could this be a factor as to why we have so much black on black crime? Because deep down we feel don't see ourselves as making enough waves to contribute to a future worth looking forward to?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not trying to be looking at Orion's Belt from down here forever. I got gods/goddess that I need to bump shoulders with, and ships I need to catch a ride to Arcturus on. And I damn well know my co-pilot is going to be BLACK, the designer of my craft is going to be BLACK, I will be welcomed by ambassadors that are BLACK. If the advancement in technology makes access to the stars in my current physical incarnation unavailable to me, I will continue to write to set a precedence for my people to know they better do the dayum thing on my behalf! The future is bright, the future is BLACK.

Now talk to me, where do we as a people see ourselves say, 50, 100, 200 years from now?

No comments:

Post a Comment