Sunday 15 November 2009

Inquiring Minds Talk Themselves Into Buying Your Books

As an author one of the first things we learn (or should) is to always carry a couple of your books with you wherever you go. You never know where the next sale might come. No problem, but most people are not psychic and wont have a clue what you have hidden in your backpack or car boot until you strike up a conversation about it.

Lately however people come to me and ask who I am and what I do. How do I get them to do this? I wear my name like it's a fashion brand. I laminated about 20 business cards put a hole through the corner and attach it to every bag I own and in some cases, my jackets too. My business card is simply my book cover on one side, and contact details on the other. Now when I go out to perform even the most mundane of chores, people stop and ask me, what I'm about. I've had a bank teller and other service reps eager to buy my book simply for being awed by having met a published author, forgetting that 5 mins before, they'd never heard of me.

Even for those who don't say anything, your name has been exposed to them. It's almost subliminal advertising as whoever sees your 'designer label', has been become subconsciously aware of you.

On one occasion I walked into a bookstore sporting my 'label', and before I knew it three copies of my book sold within five minutes of my arrival. I didn't introduce myself, my label did.

This tip isn't only for authors, everyone is their own walking commercial. Difference is, most of us pay other companies like Nike and Adidas for the privilege.

Believe in yourself, buy into your own brand name.

No comments:

Post a Comment