Saturday 28 November 2009

An Author With Sickle Cell

As an author I do alot of networking and from time to time I am invited to attend engagements where I might feature as a guest speaker. Whatever audience I may be addressing, more often than not, they are oblivious to my having sickle cell and quite possibly would know very little about it even if I was to disclose it. However on a few occasions my health issue has come up in one to one conversations with book lovers. And when it does, 9 times out of 10, the question that follows is, 'oh so your book is about sickle cell?' To which of course I respond, 'No!' What always gets me is the way the person comes over with a surprised look on their face.

So I explain to them, hey I'm a author with sickle cell not the other way around. As a person I have likes and dislikes and sickle cell doesn't rank high enough to fall into either category. Its just simply a fact of life for me. On the other hand, as an author

Each of my characters are facets of self through which I express my dreams, my ambitions, hopes, fears, contemplations and observations. I am a author of science fiction, who has sickle cell. Now if you really want to know what my book is about, find me on Youtube.com/TosinCoker and check out my video book trailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment