Tuesday 7 September 2010

Reflections - Three Books Down

This morning I sat on my bed, still wrapped in my towel after having finished up in the bathroom, unable to move or speak. You see, today is the day before the official release of my third book, and I was contemplating how on earth I got here. How did I end up being UK's first black sci-fi author? How did I end up teaching others how to publish and market their book on a budget? How in the world did I write three books!

A few years ago my ambition was to work from home, coding and designing websites. I wanted to become an expert in as many areas of computing as possible. I wanted to make a living in such a way that my health wouldn't ruin my aspirations. I wanted to demonstrate to my children, and myself that where ever there is a will, there is a way and quitting wasn't an option. Not even in the face of the crippling pain they have all too often have to see me endure. I wanted to prove that even when my body failed me, my mind could bridge the gap that would lead me to success. Studing from home in a distance learning course that cost me £5,000 wasn't for me, so I didn't become the qualified Zend Engineer I had planned on becoming, but the company I went with got 5K richer. I didn't become the Linux expert that had been working toward either. Instead I am sat here, on my bed silently thanking my ancestors, my family, my friends and blessing all of those who have given me encouragement, opportunities, and a warm reception as an author.

I haven't become rich from it, in fact I'm currently being threatened with court action for a couple of bills, but in this moment right now, I am so happy because I have tasted success and it is delicious. I am doing what I love! I'm writing and using all my computer skills to enhance on my brand name. Since I started this journey, I've learnt how to manipulate images, create movie clips, set myself up as a radio show host, learnt more about my health and spiritual well-being, created flash websites, become somewhat an expert in the area of publishing, become a motivational speaker.... the list goes on. I'm tired as a mofo most of the time, but it feels so damn good to be a success, not by society's standards, but my own. I am taking pleasure in the simple act of BEing me, and that is priceless.

It hasn't been at all easy, but growning up hardly ever is. The best thing about all of this is I have met some of the coolest people ever, and most of them were in my circle of friends and family already. Through putting myself out there as a writer I have had some of the most beautifully candid dialogues and thus got the chance to really know the family I was blessed to be born into. To all of you I say thank you, I love you.

Aiight enough of the sappiness, back to the scheduled programming, who's taking me for a celebratory dinner? I'll be having a number 46 at Wagamama's on you thanks! Come on, I know you don't expect me to pay now!

No comments:

Post a Comment