Thursday 21 October 2010

In Case You Missed The Memo...

...I'm a sci-fi author! Though I am currently working on a non-fiction book on the subject of sickle cell, the only genre I have thus far catered for is science fiction. I state the obvious because for some reason when I introduce myself as an author, people seem to think it means I am available to pen the book they have always wanted to read (or write, but can't be can't be arsed to). No dear, I'm not interested in writing your autobiography, neither am I considering writing about the history of... matter o' fact, did I tell you I write SCIENCE FICTION - you know, pertaining to scientific, futuristic or even speculative possibilities? Where in that did you find history??

I've been approached about writing law, biographies, history, health and I've reached the point where I simply nod and smile on the outside whilst taking a quick snooze on the inside, when people start going into elaborate detail of the topics they would like me to cover or how the plot should play out.

Additionally as entertaining (I say that with as much sarcasm as I can muster), is all these amazing ideas people have for how I should further my career. "Promote yourself at universities, get people to pay this much, make every library in the UK buy your books, send a copy of your book to Obama..." I appreciate your advice, really I do, but if I can't get you oh grand vizier, to buy the book, why should all these people you are recommending me to be interested in making a purchase?

No comments:

Post a Comment