Thursday 14 October 2010

Self-Published Authors: US vs UK

I've been asked during radio interviews whether I felt that African American authors were saturating the market to the extent of lessening the chances of Black British authors. Wow! My response to that is, 'then do better!' If you see our across the pond counterparts as being a threat to you as an author, DO BETTER! Me personally I admire the effort AAs put into their craft. They hustle on a whole different level, that one can only respect. I have learnt so much from US authors that has really shown me how lazy some UK authors are. I had the editor of a magazine tell me that part of what drew her attention to me was my book trailers. She had never seen any by a black author before. Until she made that comment, I hadn't noticed that actually, I hadn't seen that many myself. At the time of the conversation, I could count them on one hand, 3 of them having been created by me.

US authors have on their websites, media kits, trailers, author pictures readily available for journalist who may be interested in writing about them. Only on the sites of US authors have I seen sell sheets, free sample chapters, regularly updated blogs, the list goes on. It didn't cost me anything but an investment of my time to teach myself how to create these things, but once it was done, it was done. I took it a step further by creating an audio trailer to play on my internet radio show and even put my whole media package on a convenient credit card sized cd, where I also stuff two business cards inside the wallet that holds them. I do this so that should I happen to meet someone who could further promote me, I can hand one over. This instantly gives me the upper hand, because of how unique my approach is.

The last time I heard black author complain about how JK Rowling was dominating the market and making it harder for them to gain recognition was er.... NEVER! The last time I heard of a UK black author going on tour in the US.... you guessed it, NEVER! Stop seeing competition where there is none! Do you! Make your work sell by investing in yourself. Investment does not have to be financial.

No comments:

Post a Comment