Monday 14 December 2009

Time To Write

It's been a while since I wrote my last blog, I've been too busy to organise my thoughts, let alone sit down to write. There are so many things I want to achieve that I tend to get upset at myself for not completing my ever growing 'to do' list. So what is it that I want to achieve exactly? Well, for a start I want to complete my trilogy. I'm about half way there, but in the meantime, there are other things that need to be done too.

When you decide to take the route of self-publishing, what isn't really made clear is how much effort is required to make your book not only visible, but accessible to the world. Sure you can upload your finished manuscript to Lulu or Creat Space and voila! Your book is made available to the world, but who aside from close friends and family knows it's there? You talk up a storm on your blogs or social networks, but after a while, the people in your cyber-circle would have heard it all and their ears would become immune to your sales pitch. With zero budget, what else can you do to draw attention to your baby?

For everything that could be possibly done on a shoestring budget, believe me, I've pretty much covered it... well almost, hence my 'to do' list remaining unfinished.

My creativity is one of my greatest assests, couple that with practicality and an affinity with computers and you've got a sister who cannot keep up with her own ideas. I got tonnes of software and a pentium n9ne cpu, but next to no RAM to keep everything running seemlessly. Top that off with sickle cell, and what you end up with is a whole lot of pissed off.

I want not only to help myself, I want to see those around me do well too. Often time that means I volunteer myself to give assistance within the scope of my abilities, but what happens is I end up having people wanting not only more than I offered to do, but more than I am able to give. Give an inch, take a mile, then wonder why I'm taking so long to recouperate from a sudden spell in hospital.

Today I am writing from my bed, three days after being discharged from hospital. The worst of my pain is over, but now I'm dealing with the full extent of what this downtime means. I have a lot of things I need to work out, like the order of importance for what needs my attention most. I have a lot of blogging to catch up on, so I guess now is a good a time as any to use this space to assist in my healing. Time to start writing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment